There is a look for every hour of the day. For example, how you dress during the daytime is often different from how you might dress at night. The same holds true with makeup. Women tend to wear heavier, darker colors at night and save the lighter shades for daylight. Believe it or not, fragrances are often put into “night” and “day” categories as well.
What’s the difference, you ask? Well, for starters night fragrances tend to smell stronger and contain a higher concentration of aromatic compounds. Therefore, they also generally last longer. Fragrances containing “eau de parfum” tend to fall into the “nighttime category.” Musk and spices are commonly associated with nighttime scents.
As for daytime fragrances, these tend to be light, fresh and airy. Essentially, perfumes with the words “eau de toilete” fall into this category. Day fragrances are usually made up of herbal, citrusy and light floral scents.
Below we’ve included some popular night and day scents. Best of all, you can find them all here at Feeling Sexy.
1. Very Irresistible: Created by Givenchy, this rose-infused scent is inspired by Hollywood Actress Liv Taylor. This fragrance is vibrant, sexy and ultra-feminine and completes any daytime look.
1. Bright Crystal: Designed by Versace, this fragrance is classified as a fruity, feminine, flowery fragrance. Fragrance notes include: yuzu, pomegranate, peony, magnolia, lotus flower and acajou.
3. Burberry Classic Summer 2013: This fragrance begins with citrusy aromas and juicy pomegranate which bring freshness to the composition. The heart offers a sea of flowers with freesia, lily of the valley and rose, wrapped in warm, sensual notes of woods and musk.
4. Daisy by Marc Jacobs: Daisy is classified as a gorgeous, youthful, elegance, feminine, flowery fragrance. Fragrance notes: violet, wild strawberries, gardenia, jasmine, vanilla infusion. Daisy is recommended for daytime and summer wear.
1. Fancy Nights: This tantalizing fragrance by Jessica Simpson is the perfect scent to wear for a night out on the town. Notes of bergamot, papyrus, night blooming jasmine, patchouli, and red rose meld together in this opulent, woodsy scent for women.
2. F For Fascinating Night: A more audacious, impertinent and sensuous fragrance, F for Fascinating Night is sophisticated and intense. Created for the fashionable Ferragamo woman for evenings on the town and special occasions.
3. Midnight Heat: Launched by pop diva Beyonce, this scent exudes passion in the air and embodies excitement of hot summer nights. It opens with rich fruity flavors of plum from Armenia and star fruit.
4. Princess Night: Created by Vera Wing, this fragrance is made up of a blend of exotic flowers, fruits and woody tones. The top notes ooze with wild berries, watermelon and raspberry, leaving you feeling glamorous.
Although the general "rule of thumb" is the heavier a fragrance is, the less suitable it is for daywear—we say wear what makes you happy. If your favorite scent is marketed for “nighttime” but you love wearing it at any hour of the day—we say go for it. Rules are meant to be broken.